Dr Conrad PHILIPP
Senior Researcher and project coordinator of Cooling Singapore
Conrad is a Senior Researcher and Project Coordinator of the SEC project ‘Cooling Singapore (CS)’.CS is the first inter-CREATE project and will bring together several researcher from different Universities, such as TUM Create, SMART, FCL and NUS.
Conrad Philipp graduated with a diploma in Geography and urban planning from the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany in 2009 and has worked afterwards for the Jena-Geos Engineering Company as a deputy team leader in the United Arabic Emirates. In 2013, Conrad received his PhD at the Institute of Urban Planning and Urban Design of the University of Duisburg-Essen (UDE, Germany) within the team ARUS (Advanced Research in Urban Systems, supported by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research). During his PhD, he held a scholarship from the Free State Thuringia and from the UDE through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
As a postdoctoral researcher at the University of South Australia, Conrad coordinated the CRC (Low Carbon Living, based at the University of New South Wales, Sydney) research project ‘Urban Micro Climates: Comparative study of major contributors to the Urban Heat Island effect in three Australian cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide)’. Since 2014 Conrad is a lecturer at the Bauhaus University Weimar (Germany) during their summer school for the course ‘Cultural landscapes & urban resilience’.
Conrad’s main research focus is on urban climate mitigation strategies. As an educated Geographer he has long term experience by working interdisciplinary with urban planner and architects across European, Asian and Australian cities. His dissertation titled ‘The impact of a green belt on the urban development of a megacity: Interdisciplinary research on the example of Seoul (Republic of Korea)’ covers several environmental parameters. Such as the land surface temperature calculations (by using remote sensing data), noise and pollution modelling.
- Post-doc research fellow, University of South Australia Adelaide, Australia, 2014-2016
- Project coordinator for the Cooperative Research Center (CRC) for Low Carbon Living: Urban Micro Climates (RP2005) University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2014-2016
- PhD, University of Duisburg-Essen Essen, Germany, 2013
- Jena-Geos Engineering Company Jena, Germany, 2010-2013
- Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry Jena, The Jena Biodiversity Experiment, Jena, Germany, 2010
- Diploma in Geography, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany, 2009
- Early career research (ECR) grant, University of South Australia, 2014
- Full time PhD scholarship of the Free State Thuringia, 2011-2013
- Travel and research scholarships of the University of Duisburg-Essen (Germany) through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), 2011-2013
Dr. phil. UDE, Dipl. FSU, Post doc UniSA